Friday 10 February 2012

Snow Cycling

We don't get much snow here - just an inch or two (three to five centimetres), usually.
I just keep cycling (with a pair of gloves on!)

Anyway, here are my tips for riding on light snow:
  1. lower your saddle a bit so you can get both your feet flat on the ground
  2. go slower 
  3. especially keep the speed down when going downhill or attempting to turn corners
  4. use light braking, using the rear brake more than usual, and the front brake much less than usual. Use your feet to help with braking
  5. try and stay on "snow" parts, rather than "ice" parts
  6. take extra care when on compressed snow, such as that squashed by vehicle tracks or a lot of footprints - it acts more like ice than snow when you cycle on it
  7. watch out for the bits that melt a bit in the sun in the day, and refreeze at night
Update:
Having cycled to work today on fresh snow, let me add a few more to the list:
  • if you have dynamo lights on your bike, you may find that the snow and ice causes much more dynamo slip than usual. In that case, make sure you also have at least a set of cheap battery lights to use on the bike
  • when the temperature is minus 8 Celsius (about 18F) it makes my ears sting after about 10 minutes :-)
    (I don't usually wear a hat that covers my ears, as hearing approaching vehicles is an important part of my safety regimen) 
If you wish to thank me for this article, then please comment or click on one of the advertisers' links - you might like some of the cycling related stuff (I know I do!)