Sunday 20 July 2014

Big Ring Only Half-Century - sort of!

Well, it was supposed to be a "Big Ring Only" half-century, but Strava crashed on my phone after 48km ...
So it is in two parts :-)
I don't suppose there is a "join" feature available on Strava?
Anyway, for those who thinks a front derailleur is so important for me (I don't have one fitted at the moment, although I do have a  28/38/48 "triple" chainset), I did the whole ride on the "Big Ring".

With my locked out top gear (it was jumping, so I adjusted the rear derailleur so that I just get gears 1-5 now, and moving the control to position "6" just leaves it in 5th), I have a rear cogs from 16 to 28 available, giving me a gear range remarkable similar to the "classic" Sturmey Archer AW 3-speed.
Indeed, I have previously ridden the "hills" part of this ride on a Pashley Mailstar, which had ... (wait for it) ... a Sturmey Archer 3-speed.

I only really need more gears for the steep climbs in the Chilterns, the rest of the time, a 3-speed is quite enough. And even in the Chilterns, if one isn't afraid to do a bit of old-fashioned pushing on the steepest sections, then a 3-speed is still enough!
http://www.strava.com/activities/168279669
http://www.strava.com/activities/168279676

No comments:

Post a Comment