Sunday 31 May 2015

Training while away from the bike

Just got back from a week away.
No bike for a week :-(
Like most holidays space was at a premium, so it was a case of managing as best I could.
I just packed my running shoes and my new sports watch (a Garmin 310xt).

I have a "century ride" lined up for next Sunday (just 7 days time!), so I wanted to do a bit, just to keep in shape.
A bit of running won't improve my "cycling legs" much, but it WILL help me keep my heart and lungs in good condition.
I did a mixture of short running, and one serious section of running from the campsite down to the beach and back up a few times (four climb reps in total - dunno how high, but I'm guessing 50 metres plus per rep).
I'll shortly process the Garmin files, and the stats will be there for all to see.

I am not much of a runner, instead using a bit of running to support my cycling, and the running I did on holiday was a lot better training than none at all, while still giving my body a chance to recover fully before my upcoming "century".

Fancy a go at the "century" yourself (shorter routes are also available!)?
There appears to be some places left - apply here.
Or if you want to wait for the weather, just turn up on the day and pay 30 quid (subject to places remaining!)



Update:
So here is the best of the running sessions - I ran up and down a path from the cliffs to the ebach a couple of times, then round a few times around the field next to our chalet (cabin). It is notable for having the highest Max HR I have yet recorded - 182 bpm. It is fairly believable, because I have previously recorded a Max HR of 181 bpm using a "bluetooth" HRM belt and a smartphone. This time it was an Ant+ belt (Garmin) and a Garmin sports watch (310XT).
I measured a new "low" too, of just 46 bpm - must be all that stress-free sea air :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment