Monday 2 April 2012

How I know my bike is really Italian

I have a Cinzia folding bike ...
How do I know it is really an Italian bike, not just a badge-engineered mass-manufactured Far Eastern bike?
Because I took the bottom bracket apart today ...
and it has a 36mm thread size, and both screw-in bearing cups have a right-handed (normal) screw-thread on them!

The "normal fitting" is a "BSA" thread size, which is 1.375inch thread size, with 24 threads per inch, usually in a 68mm width bottom bracket shell, with a "left-hand" thread on the right hand ("fixed") cup, while my Cinzia has a 36mm thread size, with 24 threads per inch, in a 70mm width bottom bracket shell, with a "right-hand" thread on both cups !!!

Only the Italians (and a few deluxe French bike-makers) were unothodox enough to use this fitting!

My Cinzia also has a 25mm seatpost tube, rather than the MUCH more common 25.4mm (1 inch) size.
Yet more evidence that it is not the product of some generic far-Eastern factory that builds countless bikes and just puts different badges and stickers on them ...
My Cinzia has a 36mm "right-hand" thread right-hand cup

So my bike is definitely Italian :-)
I will have LOTS of fun trying to fix it, what with the seemingly random mix of ISO/British and Italian fittings it has :-)

How very ... educational?


My Cinzia has a 36mm "right-hand" thread left-hand cup

No comments:

Post a Comment