Wednesday 9 May 2012

Utilitaires (practical fun)

Utilitaires.
Bet you've never heard of them.

Mostly in the USA, amongst (from what I can make out) mostly women, "utilitaires" have a modest but dedicated following.
Think of them as "utility cycling".
You get a list of jobs, and try and do them using a bike.
Then you mark them off on the list, with details, when you have done them.
A typical Utilitaire list looks
like this.
The requirements for completing a card seem to be to tick off seven, nine, or all twelve of the categories.
So folks use a precise rule set (such as this one), and some folk don't.

Anyway, it's all a bit of fun, so don't get too hung up about it however you decide to "utilitaire".

As for me, I'm claiming an exemption from number 12 (haircut), as my wife cuts my hair at home, and has done since we got married (we've just passed our 11th anniversary), so I haven't travelled to get a haircut for quite a while!
My "easy" ones to complete on the bike would be:
1 (work - I cycle this five or 6 days a week!)
5 (grocery store - a bike is my most common way of shopping for groceries)
6 (any other store - my bike is also my most common way of doing other shopping too!)
8 (bike shop - I guess I go once every 3 or 4 months, almost always by bike)
11 (library - last time I went by bike)

I'll have to work a bit to get some of the others!)
Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment